The Express and Telegraph, 13 Sep 1913.

The "Daily News" of London has been calling public attention to the grave events which followed on the advance of the Ottoman troops from Chataldja and the re-occupation of the territory wrested from them by Bulgaria last Autumn. The, account given by Mr Noel Buxton of the indiscriminate vengeance and slaughter wrought by the Turks was confirmed two days later by telegrams from Constantinople, which quoted reports from the consuls of the Powers in Thrace and from the assistant bishop of the Metropolitan of Rodosto.

Subsequently the London journal received from a source which places its authenticity  beyond question, a summary of this latter report, which is of so terrible a character that it has been necessary to alter or suppress passages describing the worst forms of outrage.

The assistant bishop was a member of a Commission sent out to investigate the charges of massacre which early had begun to reach Constantinople. He had as colleagues four Christians, of whom two were Greeks and two Armenians, and a Turkish mufti. His report is dated July 25 and reached Constantinople on July 30.

Bombs and Petroleum.
"On our arrival at Malgara," he writes, "we saw burnt houses. We found on making enquiries that the Bulgarians left on the 15th, and had not done anything wrong. Then Mehmed Ali and Mustafa Pasha came from Gallipoli with the Turkish troops. They were met by the population, who saluted them.

"On July 17 the army commenced pillaging the houses of Christians. At evening a fire broke out, caused by bombs thrown into Armenian houses by Turks. Petroleum carts went about the streets all night, and soldiers threw petroleum over everything. Panic occurred; people fled from the burning quarter to other houses, but were fired on by troops. Several fled to the bazaar, where thirteen Armenians and five Greeks, were at once killed. At night the town was abandoned to the troops. The bazaar and many Armenian houses were burnt. The wind changed and burnt some Turkish houses. Nearly 300 houses, of which 67 were Greek, 15 Ottoman, and the rest Armenian, were destroyed.

Priest Tortured.
"On the same day, July 17, the army passed to Kalivia. When they entered it a trumpet was sounded and an officer gave the order, 'Plunder and massacre!' (Yagma, Yakun, Kessin). Thereupon the army dispersed and killed all the Christians they met. All the houses were looted. A priest told us that they caught him by the beard, tortured him till he lost consciousness, and robbed him. Women were seized. An eye-witness tells us he saw a girl jump from a window to avoid a Turkish soldier. The Canon of the Greek Monastery, with his priests, took refuge in the belfry; but, seeing the danger, they tried to fly. They were caught by the troops, and ropes were put round their necks, but the canon had his throat cut at once; a priest was also killed. The village and neighborhood are full of corpses of men, women, and children. Many girls allowed themselves to be burned in their houses in order to save themselves from the soldiers. Several of the victims went mad.

"Sakche was a hamlet of seven Greek families. When the army appeared an officer demanded of a man whether the hamlet was Christian or Moslem, and on his reply gave orders to burn it. The order was obeyed. The inhabitants who had not fled were burnt.

"An eyewitness at Haskeuy said that after the entry of the army he heard shots; many women and girls were caught by soldiers and were taken to a windmill. Afterwards they were stripped naked and sent off. A little later Moslem villagers arrived, and pillaged everything belonging  to the Christians. Then fire broke out, and the village was burned.

Hunted by Dogs.
"The Bashi-Bazouks had many dogs with them. They hunted refugees, and the Bashi-Bazouks shot them. Our informant saw Christe Lambro, a notable, who had had his eyes gouged out and his nose slit because he would not say where his valuables were hidden."

The report gives details not unlike those of Haskeuy, in regard to the villages of Thimitkeui, Kurtli and Temberitkeui.

The entire news report can be viewed at the source below

Source: ALLEGED TURKISH ATROCITIES. (1913, September 13). The Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), p. 6. Retrieved March 25, 2018, from



More information about the massacre of Greeks perpetrated by Ottoman authorities in the Malgara region in July 1913 can be found in The Persecution of Greeks in Turkey since the Beginning of the European War by Archimandrite Alexander Papadopoulos (pp. 32-52).  

In this document the following details were recorded:

At Rodosto: 23 Greeks were killed.

At Kalyvia: Wholesale massacre. On the 4th of July the Ottoman Army entered Kalyvia and began forcibly entering homes, firing at citizens and setting fire to houses. Many girls chose to stay in their homes and were burned to avoid being raped. The Abbot, the priest and an assistant were butchered. Wells were chocked with dead bodies. All houses were burnt. The church and monastery were destroyed.

At Haskeuy: The Ottoman Army entered the village on the 4th of July and began firing at men, women and children killing a large number. Women were raped.

At Thymetkioi: Ottoman soldiers entered the village on the 4th of July. The church was stripped and burned. All houses were looted and many were massacred. Women were raped. The village was burnt to ashes. 

At Kiourtle: Army entered on the 4th of July and for 2 days began to plunder, beat and murder the residents. They burned most of the houses and partly burned the church. Turks from the region entered and took everything including furniture, cattle and food.

At Temberikioi: The Army entered on the 4th of July and burned the church and 30 houses. They then looted and massacred many of its inhabitants.